Any child custody lawyer in Brownsville Texas should be familiar with the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA). In order for a Court in the State of Texas to exercise jurisdiction over a child custody matter, the general rule is that the child must have lived in Texas for at least 6 months. If a Court in another state has previously issued orders concerning a child, then Texas will most likely not be willing to hear a custody matter. The exception being if the Court in the other state is willing to transfer the matter to Texas.

It is advisable to always first determine if Texas is the proper state to file your child custody case before you begin your child custody case.