Getting divorced is never an easy thing, a highly emotional time for couples who are deciding to end a marriage. Besides the emotional component, already tense negotiations can many times escalate once the subject of dividing marital property and deciding child parenting responsibilities enter into the process. Since it does not take very long for the divorce process to become emotionally clouded, it is recommended that each party seek out a divorce attorney to handle the process and all arrangements.
Experience in Family Law
There are many different areas of law, each with its own details and procedures based on that type of law, which explains why seeking an attorney who is experienced in family and divorce law is so important. Of course any practicing attorney could handle a divorce case, which may be sufficient for one that has basically been decided by the couple and just need the paperwork drawn up to formalize an agreed arrangement. If there are any side issues involved where agreement has not been reached, looking for an attorney with specific experience in family law might be the better choice.
When looking at a divorce lawyer, clients should definitely look for someone who is experienced in the area of family law as that usually requires current knowledge of laws regarding divorce in that state, including such potential areas as the dispersal of marital and individually-owned property. If children are involved, having well-rounded knowledge of how the state looks at child support and parenting rights will be very beneficial in negotiations with the other party’s attorney.
Other Desirable Traits For A Divorce Attorney
Besides having good experience in this area of law, there are a number of other aspects and traits that should be considered when seeking a good divorce attorney.
- Ability to Listen – Does the attorney really listen to clients – or spend consultation time merely taking notes and not asking any questions to clarify a statement or issue.
- Ability to Communicate – Does the attorney appear to communicate well with their staff; an apparently good relationship with staff members that appears based on mutual respect speaks well of that lawyer. It often correlates to an ability to openly discuss a case with clients to reach the best outcome possible in the divorce.
- Ability to Explain – Not everyone knows the law, its language, or what it all means. Does the attorney take the time to be sure that a client understands what is legally happening – and more importantly, the legal consequences of each action? An attorney who handles divorces should speak a language other than legalese to their clients.
- Ability to Ease Fears – This trait is perhaps hard to explain yet often very important to a person going through divorce proceedings. Although there is no guarantee that everything will be resolved in favor of one side versus the other, relaying to a client a feeling of trust, a feeling of ‘being there’ for them through divorce proceedings to protect their interests within what the law will allow is one of the more valuable traits a divorce attorney should have.
- Desire to Protect Children – If children are involved, making a divorce work in the best interests of minors is perhaps a bit intangible and yet can often be felt when working together on such issues. Helping one party understand that compromise may be in the best interest of any involved children will hopefully secure a good outcome for any such minors.
The value of a divorce attorney is helping a family transition into a new life that presents opportunities for both parties – and children, if involved, a chance to look forward to happy and harmonious lives. If divorce is on your horizon, don’t be overwhelmed – consider the above information and find a divorce lawyer who will be the best one for your unique situation!
Reynaldo G. Garza, III
680 E. St Charles, Suite 600
Brownsville TX 78520